Westwood Charter School has a variety of child-centered facilities including:
- 35 classrooms, each with a ratio of one computer to every six students, a printer, and a teaching screen.
- Well-maintained playground for grades 1-5.
- Separate kindergarten play yard.
- Cafeteria with indoor eating area.
- Covered outdoor eating area.
- Auditorium with stage.
- Library — fully staffed by a library aide and parent volunteers.
- 12 landscaped outdoor classrooms and garden education areas.
Average Class Size
- There is an average of 21-24 children per class in Kindergarten and grades 1, 2 and 3.
- There is an average of 30-32 children per class in grades 4 and 5.
- The teachers, specialists and volunteers provide individualized, small group and whole group instruction.
- “Team-teaching” enriches instruction.
- For some subjects, students are clustered based on their individual needs and interests. All learning clusters are flexible.
- Parent/teacher conferences are held a minimum of two times each year and upon request.
Assesment and Testing
Each spring children in grades 3 - 5 are given the California State or district required standardized tests. Testing lasts for two weeks. Results are used in school-wide and classroom instructional program planning and evaluation to align our curriculum and teaching standards with state and national standards.
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE)
Qualified students are eligible for participation in the GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) program. Students are recognized as candidates by advanced performance on standardized tests, or are referred for psychological testing by teacher recommendation. The school has a GATE coordinator. At Westwood Charter, students identified as gifted are clustered in peer groups in each classroom.
- Art Program
- Dance Program
- Earthquake Preparedness Program
- Ecology and Recycling Program
- G.A.T.E. (Gifted and Talented Education)
- Great Books Program
- Monthly Assemblies
- Multicultural Fair
- Music Program
- Garden Program
- Physical Education Program
- School Beautification
- Service Learning
- Social Ethics & Values Program
- Specialized Grade Level Meetings
- Student Council
- Technology Program
Students entering school in August must be at least five years old on or before September 1st of the same year. Westwood Charter School has approximately 850 students. The majority of our children are from the local neighborhood. Click for more information.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:05am – 2:40pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 8:05am – 1:41pm
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:05am – 2:45pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 8:05am – 1:45pm
Minimum Day Schedule – All Grades (K-5)
8:05am – 12:45pm
Childcare – S.T.A.R. Program
STAR is a charitable 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to offering extended educational, recreational and enrichment programs, to supporting and enhancing school curriculum, and to expanding the cultural base of young people through innovative, quality programs offered by exceptional instructors. Click here for more information.