Westwood Charter is one of a small group of schools in Los Angeles that have Affiliated Charter School status. Being a Charter School gives us more independence in the areas of curriculum, sta$ng and governance. Our staff has designed a curriculum that is meaningful, process-oriented and uniquely child-centered. A hands-on experiential approach focusing on critical thinking skills is at the core of each classroom program.
The instructional program has been designed to provide students with the type of education needed to be successful in the 21st century. Some highlights of our program are:
- Classes are organized using the model of the "family." Children and teachers are grouped together for a variety of experiences designed to provide a nurturing environment for growth.
- Curriculum is presented in an integrated, thematic manner. Interdependence is the school-wide theme - the interdependence of social, biological, ecological and cultural systems.
- The State of California Content Standards in Language Arts, History/Social Sciences, Math and Science guide the instructional program in each Westwood Charter classroom.
- An emphasis on social and community values foster self-esteem, productive living and respect for diversity.
- The Psychomotor Program provides a sequential, developmentally appropriate approach to physical fitness.
- Our visual arts teacher instructs students and encourages their artistic creativity.
- Children learn the elements of music by singing, performing body rhythms, and playing instruments.
- Grades 4 and 5 children have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument and play together in the school orchestra.